Lemon meringue pie is one of those desserts that sparks a strong emotion. Every grandmother made the best one ever and every time you take a tangy bite it takes you back to happy times sitting around the family dinner table.
As good as a lemon meringue pie is, a lot of people choose not to make it at home for fear that it may be too difficult, said Taste magazine. This really isn't the case and when you follow these simple steps, you'll discover how truly easy this dish is to prepare as an after dinner treat:
What you'll need: 5 eggs, 300ml thin cream, ¾ caster sugar, 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind and ½ cup of lemon juice.
What you'll need: 1 ½ cups plain flour, ½ cup almond meal, ⅓ cup icing sugar mixture, 125g cold chopped butter, 1 egg yolk, 1 tsp water.
1. In the bowl of a food processor add all the dry ingredients and process to resemble breadcrumbs. Add the yolk and water and process until the dough comes together.
2. On a lightly floured surface, gently knead the dough before shaping into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
3. Preheat oven to 200 degrees and roll out pastry to a 3mm thick-base. Line a 5cm-deep, 18cm pie tin with a removable base and trim the excess. Leave in the fridge for a further 30 minutes.
4. Cover the pastry with baking paper and fill with pastry weights. Place the tin on a baking tray and bake for ten minutes. Remove the paper and weights and then bake for a further 8 minutes until golden brown.
5. Reduce oven to 160 degrees.
6. Strain the lemon filling through a sieve and pour over the base. Bake in the oven for half an hour or until the filling is firm. Take pie out of the oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes before placing in the fridge for one hour.
7. Bring the oven back up to 180 degrees.
What you need: 3 egg whites, ½ cup caster sugar
Method: In a clean bowl, whisk whites together until soft peaks form. Add sugar one tablespoon at a time, continuing to whisk until glossy. Layer the meringue over the filling and make gentle peaks using the back of a spoon. Put the lemon meringue pie back in the oven for a further 8 minutes.